A Potted History fo Fernhurst Football Club

New Pitch in 2013

John Mitchell OBE, a trustee of the Recreation Ground realised that the football club were playing very intermittently during the winter due to the condition of the pitch, for several weeks during December through February not home matches were played causing players and their families to drift away to other clubs and other activities. The state of the pitch was hindering the club.

With this in mind he and a few others determined to provide a pitch that could be played on both a Saturday and Sunday every weekend of the year, a pitch that would allow the club to survive and progress.

After a couple of false starts the necessary funds were found through donation, grants, fund raising events, etc. In 2013 the new pitch was played on by an ex-professional charity team and representatives of Fernhurst FC.

At around the same time a new committee was formed and junior football introduced on Saturday mornings. Both Saturday XI teams were promoted at the end of the 2014/15 season and junior teams competed in junior leagues.

Here is a link to the website of Abbotts, the company that constructed the new pitch outlining what was done, click here.

Founding

The club was formally founded in 1907 although in 1902 the West Sussex Gazette records that there was meeting the Red Lion to start the process of founding the club.

In 1903 another meeting took place and there is record of Fernhurst playing Haslemere Old Boys at Fernhurst, with Fernhurst winning 6 - 2.

It would appear that the club colours prior to 1907 were black with red bands although by 1907 the traditional green strip was in use.

Family Names
Through the history of the club several family names recur from generation to generation, Lambert, White, Ford, West to name just 5. Inevitably some were related to one another through marriage. The club was a very local community club. Even now links to the past can be found within the club.
Walter Winterbottom
The reputation of Fernhurst FC during the late 1940's and early 1950's was such that the village used to have up to 200 supporters at matches. Folk from as far away as Worthing would ring to ask where Fernhurst were playing so that they could turn up and watch.
In fact the reputation was such that Walter Winterbottom, the manager of England between 1946 and 1962 visited Fernhurst in December 1951 to present the team and its supporters with a signed picture of the England team and a signed football that was auctioned off for charity.
To see how successful the club was at the time just have a look at the Past Club Honours page.